Natural cycle IVF also known as ‘Natural IVF’ is a treatment similar to traditional IVF but without the use of fertility drugs. Natural cycle IVF simply follows a woman’s menstrual cycle, which is monitored with a monthly ultrasound. You body selects your natural egg, usually around the tenth day of your cycle, the egg is retrieved and combined with the sperm to allow fertilization to occur. Once fertilization occurs, the resulting embryo is implanted into the woman’s uterus. Natural cycle IVF with ICSI uses the body’s natural ovulation process, without the help of follicle-stimulating hormones to boost egg production and induce ovulation.
Difference between Natural IVF and Conventional IVF
The major difference between from conventional IVF is that there is no use of medications to stimulate the ovaries to produce multiple eggs. In natural cycle IVF only one embryo is transferred to the womb, as opposed to regular IVF in which multiple embryos are transferred at once. In a stimulated IVF cycle, a woman takes medications for 9 to 12 days that stimulate both of her ovaries to grow and mature multiple egg follicles. The other difference is that most patients only need two to three office visits during natural cycle-IVF, compared to six to seven with conventional IVF.
Advantages of Natural Cycle IVF
- No fertility drugs are used for ovarian stimulation, reducing the risk of side effects such as OHSS.
- Natural Cycle IVF treatment can be repeated in consecutive months. Women who have an unsuccessful traditional IVF -treatment must wait three months before attempting a second cycle.
- Natural cycle IVF is less expensive as couples do not pay for fertility drugs.
- Natural IVF works perfectly even for older women.
- It greatly reduces the chance of multiple births.
Disadvantages of Natural Cycle IVF
- Only one egg is fertilized reducing the chance of successful fertilization.
- Success rates are lower than fertility drug stimulated IVF treatment.
Natural IVF at IFC
International Fertility Centre is the first network of IVF clinics to offer successful and safe Natural Cycle IVF as a first option to patients. We are the largest provider of Natural Cycle IVF in India and have pioneered the practice of Natural IVF. Our Chairperson and IVF specialist, Dr. Rita Bakshi, is one of the India’s foremost experts on Natural Cycle IVF.
Currently, IFC conducts natural IVF for around eight patients. In natural cycle IVF, our goal is to retrieve one good egg, make one good embryo, and produce one healthy baby.